I am going to share with you a story about a new client that left their prior insurance broker because of a bad loss they suffered that could and should have been covered. I am going to explain why they choose us but I want to be clear, getting a new client because they suffered an uncovered loss is not a good way to win clients and not something we prefer. We would much rather work with a client prior to a loss and uncover coverage gaps so that if they are unfortunate and have a loss and least it is covered by insurance.
The loss involved a fire at their premise that destroyed roughly 25% of their product. The remaining 75% of the product was condemned even though it appeared not to be damaged. The insurance company covered the 25% that was damaged but not the 75% that was condemned. The condemned property should have been covered and could have for a very little amount of additional premium.
After the loss the client decided it was time to move on from their large fortune 500 broker that had a team dedicated to life science clients. The client did an informal RFQ and asked the competing brokers to analyze their current coverage, current pricing, and coverages they might be missing.
What we found was pretty staggering. From a pricing standpoint, they were in good shape, and they had most of the same coverages that we would have recommended. The problem was that the coverage terms within those policies left the client significantly more exposed than they realized. In addition to the condemned property coverage gap, we found a handful of other six and seven figure coverage gaps that the prior broker had missed and which our competition had failed to point out. It is never pleasant when a loss uncovers a coverage gap and that is what we strive to avoid with our clients and prospects. At the end of the day, our deep dive coverage analysis is what won us the business. We had equal capabilities to the other brokers when it came to pricing and placement expertise, but we shined when it came to correctly identifying what their current coverage lacked and how to fix it.
If you are a life science company and would be interested in learning more about our coverage audit please email me at email@example.com. We spend our time and resources doing this analysis, not yours.